Friday, January 24, 2014

Fat and Happy vs. Working To Be Healthier

There is a certain someone in my life who believes that it is better to be fat and happy than to work to be healthier. Any thoughts on this?

"I like myself the way I am."
Loving yourself for who you are is wonderful and all, but what if you are deciding to love a part of yourself that is not good for you?

"V, you don't need to lose any weight. I think you look fine."
I am actually overweight. Not just by my standards, but from a medical standpoint it would do me lots of good to lose some weight and try and get healthier. I feel like she just says this to make herself feel better about her own weight at over 200 pounds.

She tells me that the social media is just making me have unrealistic expectations. She tells me that she doesn't believe what doctor's say, she believes that bmi is a bad indicator of size, that 140 pounds is too small. She believes that calorie counting is for idiots. Is it all just denial?

Why do people ridicule those who try and lose weight? Do they not understand the concept of healthy? Or are they just refusing to believe that they need to be better, because it is too much work for them to try anymore?

My conclusion- She's just lazy. Her favorite word is actually the word lazy. "I'm too lazy." "I don't want to." "I'm too tired." "I would rather be lazy then work." It's so sad that it's true.

Here are some statistics to make things clearer.
  • More than one-third of U.S. adults (35.7%) are obese.
  • Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer, some of the leading causes of preventable death.
  • The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the U.S. was $147 billion in 2008 U.S. dollars; the medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight.
http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

2 comments:

  1. I can understand how you feel, but I think that sometimes people feel that while being a little overweight is not a good thing, neither is hating yourself as a person over something that doesn't define who you are. It's good to want to want to be healthy, as long as the approach is healthy and not aggressive towards the self - that's where it gets into being disordered, and I'm sure most people on here know what that's like. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is okay to love yourself for who you are, and also that if your weight is not a threat that it's okay to just love it and leave it, but this girl is 17 and doctors have been telling her for years that she needs to lose some of her 230 pounds. She's not healthy. I guess what hurts the most is that she is so critical of my weight loss goals and yet I am worried about her because she is my sister. I went to visit for the weekend and she was hateful towards everything I said about taking walks or eating fruit or passing on sweets. It was just pure negativity. I suppose it was just a rant post. Thanks for commenting though. I do appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete